Today we’re going to dive into Google classroom! Let’s take a good look at how to set up your Google classroom and get started with the powerful tools it offers.
What is Google Classroom? Google Classroom allows you to set up an on-line virtual classroom complete with the ability to set up assignments, grade assignments and provide feedback and send out announcements to your students via the internet. No more taking home suitcases full of assignments as your students’ work will be literally at your keyboard “fingertips”.
How do you set up your very own Google Class?
- Go to classroom.google.com/
- Check the upper right-hand corner of your browser to be sure you are signed into google with your school email address (Your tech department will have set this up.)
- Now you are ready to set up your first class. I like to set up a class for each subject area even though I have the same students for all classes. To set up a class, just click on the little + sign up by your name. Then type in the name of the class and a descriptor. That’s it! You’ve made your first class. Want to see it in more detail? Here’s a great tutorial that shows how!
4. Next you can put in some information about your class. Just go to the ABOUT button and tell your students about your class with information like where the class takes place, a description, etc.
5. Now your ready to add some assignments. It’s easy to do . Just watch this tutorial to get you started.
6. Finally, Let’s take a look at what your students will get and how they can open and complete assignments.
First they can attach almost any kind of work to hand in: file, google doc, or link to their work on the web. Here’s how:
If they’re working with a google doc or form that was teacher created, then they can simply complete their copy and hit the “turn in” button. Here’s a good student tutorial to show your students how:
So there you have it, you are ready to set up your google class and get googlin! Have fun, and enjoy the learning journey.